"GEEZ. ENOUGH ALREADY!"
- Heaven's Prayer Coordinator
2.1.13
2.1.13
Most don't know that I got involved in the Hamrick kidney party in January of 2011 so I was told a few times that we made it seem like this was just business for us. Trust me, that was not the case. The first 6-months of the process was a very emotional experience as we prepared for a June 2011 transplant. Luckily Kesley's levels started to improve and she was able to eek out 16-months more from her kidneys than what was expected at that time (of course, that was way beyond what doctors had expected for her early in life,) which was great! So by the time the announcement was made in September 2012, this was old hat for us and not that it held any less importance to me, I know I was a little robotic about it.
My initial request to the Hamricks was that no one knew about my involvement and I had delusions of being able to do this and not have anyone know. Ever. "Come on. I can plan my 'vacation' at the same time of the transplant and no one will be the wiser." As much as I can have a convincing persuasion over many things, I didn't even get Bob to think twice about that. I wasn't underestimating my work compadres to not figure it out, but was hoping I could avoid any pre-surgery attention. That's just not me. Plus this was not about me. This was about the beautiful and exciting life of a teenage girl.
So when the the Hamricks showed up at the office together at 6pm one evening mid-September to talk to me, after my initial coronary thinking that someone resigned or perhaps they found the stash of cash I have been secretly embezzling, I realized it was finally TIME. After digging in my heels as much as I could, plans were made to tell, what felt like the world, of what was to come. Little did I know that the word would travel beyond any boundaries than I could fathom.
When someone has a challenging time in their life, the common response is the arbitrary my thoughts and prayers are with you sentiment. The reality of that statement for my kidney transplant sewing circle was truly unexpected and completely overwhelming. I'm sure heaven's prayer coordinator was like, "Dude. Enough already. WE GET IT."
There are nearly 300 people at my company and many I've known for a number years (some since I was a naïve and poorly-dressed 19-year old.) Multiply that by friends, family, spouses, aunts, second cousins removed and I'm sure thousands knew about it. Of course my family has the Mormon side of prayers and fasting locked up but it was incredibly touching to know that our VP of Finance's sister, who is a nun at a convent in California, was praying with her sisters. The prayers of those who are Buddhist, Jewish, Catholic, LDS and other Christian denominations...the prayer circles and groups...even the warm wishes of those that don't believe in a deity....were incredible touching and affected me more than anyone will ever know. Plus, if you haven't caught on already, they worked!
In attending the potluck lunch two weeks after the transplant at one of our offices the incredibly sweet wife of one of our agents and I were talking about the process and outcome and she started to tear up and said, "My prayers were answered. Yes, I prayed that everything would go well but I specifically prayed that the speed of the surgery and recovery would astound the doctors." A compliance investigator at the Nevada Real Estate Division, notorious for being all-business, was apparently moved by the story and e-mailed me his sentiments along with his personal cell phone number to use in case I needed ANYTHING (non-work related - he clarified.) And although I don't think he's LDS, he has a strong belief that the prayers of his LDS mother-in-law are answered and had her put our names on the prayer roll in the temple in northern Utah. My favorite yoga instructor mentioned something to a personal yoga client of hers who was touched and anonymously paid for two one-on-one sessions for me during my recovery - in addition to her dedicating my favorite yoga class to Kelsey and me. A good friend and I regularly dedicate the ab section of our workouts to people who need some well wishes and I know she dedicated many abs to me (enjoy your washboard tummy this summer, Mama G!) The hundreds of notes on Facebook, the heartfelt e-mails and get well gifts, the flowers and well wishes from the President and CEO of Coldwell Banker Real Estate Corporation....so very special!
It was and still is absolutely overwhelming and incredibly special to FEEL the love from every single person I have encountered and even from those I have never met. No matter anyone's religious affiliation, I know that God listens to the pleas from all of His children. The undeniable miracles that transpired before, during and after the transplant are due to faith and the prayers of many hundreds of people.
When someone has a challenging time in their life, the common response is the arbitrary my thoughts and prayers are with you sentiment. The reality of that statement for my kidney transplant sewing circle was truly unexpected and completely overwhelming. I'm sure heaven's prayer coordinator was like, "Dude. Enough already. WE GET IT."
There are nearly 300 people at my company and many I've known for a number years (some since I was a naïve and poorly-dressed 19-year old.) Multiply that by friends, family, spouses, aunts, second cousins removed and I'm sure thousands knew about it. Of course my family has the Mormon side of prayers and fasting locked up but it was incredibly touching to know that our VP of Finance's sister, who is a nun at a convent in California, was praying with her sisters. The prayers of those who are Buddhist, Jewish, Catholic, LDS and other Christian denominations...the prayer circles and groups...even the warm wishes of those that don't believe in a deity....were incredible touching and affected me more than anyone will ever know. Plus, if you haven't caught on already, they worked!
In attending the potluck lunch two weeks after the transplant at one of our offices the incredibly sweet wife of one of our agents and I were talking about the process and outcome and she started to tear up and said, "My prayers were answered. Yes, I prayed that everything would go well but I specifically prayed that the speed of the surgery and recovery would astound the doctors." A compliance investigator at the Nevada Real Estate Division, notorious for being all-business, was apparently moved by the story and e-mailed me his sentiments along with his personal cell phone number to use in case I needed ANYTHING (non-work related - he clarified.) And although I don't think he's LDS, he has a strong belief that the prayers of his LDS mother-in-law are answered and had her put our names on the prayer roll in the temple in northern Utah. My favorite yoga instructor mentioned something to a personal yoga client of hers who was touched and anonymously paid for two one-on-one sessions for me during my recovery - in addition to her dedicating my favorite yoga class to Kelsey and me. A good friend and I regularly dedicate the ab section of our workouts to people who need some well wishes and I know she dedicated many abs to me (enjoy your washboard tummy this summer, Mama G!) The hundreds of notes on Facebook, the heartfelt e-mails and get well gifts, the flowers and well wishes from the President and CEO of Coldwell Banker Real Estate Corporation....so very special!
It was and still is absolutely overwhelming and incredibly special to FEEL the love from every single person I have encountered and even from those I have never met. No matter anyone's religious affiliation, I know that God listens to the pleas from all of His children. The undeniable miracles that transpired before, during and after the transplant are due to faith and the prayers of many hundreds of people.
Words can't express my appreciation for all of your thoughts and prayers. They WERE truly with me and something I'll carry in my heart the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment